The Knights of Columbus Good Shepherd Council 10685 is dedicated to the service of our Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI, our Bishop, our Pastor Reverend Father Paul C. Helwig, our parish school and children, and to the people of Good Shepherd Parish. We as a council supply manpower for parish activities and hold fundraising events to benefit our parish community.
Knights of Columbus Good Shepherd Council 10685 was chartered on August 12, 1991, with 36 charter members.
Brother George Morrison Jr. spearheaded the effort to form a parish council at Good Shepherd. Monsignor Vincent Smith was the pastor of Good Shepherd Church at the time and supported George in all his efforts.
The Council was formed to serve the pastor and people of Good Shepherd Parish and to provide the men of the parish a Catholic fraternal organization where they could share their faith and work with other Catholic gentlemen in service to the parish.
Thanks to the efforts of Father Michael J. McGivney, assistant pastor of St. Mary’s Church in New Haven and some of his parishioners, the Connecticut state legislature on March 29, 1882, officially chartered the Knights of Columbus as a fraternal benefit society. The Order is still true to its founding principles of charity, unity and fraternity.
The Knights was formed to render financial aid to members and their families. Mutual aid and assistance are offered to sick, disabled and needy members and their families. Social and intellectual fellowship is promoted among members and their families through educational, charitable, religious, social welfare, war relief and public relief works.